Georgia College & State University
The name of the body hereby constituted shall be the Staff Council.
II. RESPONSIBILITIES & FUNCTIONS
In its representation of all staff employees, the Georgia College & State University Staff Council will promote better understanding, increased cooperation, and open communication among all constituent groups on our campus. While performing the duty, the Staff Council will endorse and adhere to the mission and goals of Georgia College & State University.
B. Staff Council Responsibilities
1. Enhance the communications network for staff throughout the university community.
2. Nominate staff members to serve on university-wide committees.
3. Coordinate annual elections to Staff Council.
4. Appoint standing committees and ad hoc committees as determined by majority of the Council.
5. Conduct quarterly meetings of the Staff Council, annual community meetings and meetings of staff by electing areas.
6. Promote professional development, technical, and educational opportunities to enhance and promote employees skills.
7. The Staff Council shall not be authorized to consider or determine individual grievances.
1. Representation for Staff Council shall correspond to six division areas. Each division shall select
members of Staff Council in accordance with the following schedule:
1 – 50 staff employees shall have one representative,
51 – 100 staff employees shall have two representatives,
101 – 150 staff employees shall have three representatives,
151 – 200 staff employees shall have four representatives,
201 – 250 staff employees shall have five representatives,
251 – 300 staff employees shall have six representatives,
301 – 350 staff employees shall have seven representatives,
351 – 400 staff employees shall have eight representatives.
For every increment of fifty (50) people per division, there
will be one representative.
The six divisions are the Office of the President, Academic Affairs, Student Affairs, Business & Finance, Institutional Research & Enrollment Management, and the University Advancement. The Office of the President shall include the Chief of Staff and all other administrators who report to the President, their offices, and Staff.
Employee counts will be conducted in September of every year prior to the upcoming year’s apportionment in subsequent elections.
B. Election of Voting Members
1. Elections shall be held prior to December 31 each year in each division to replace members whose terms have expired. The Nominating and Elections Committee shall notify the divisions of the deadlines for selecting new members and the number of positions to be filled in each year. Notice shall be given to the following division representatives.
2. Membership shall be based upon a popular vote within the designated divisions. "Staff" includes all employees except ranked faculty members employed in the corps of instruction and administrators reporting to the President. To be eligible, a staff member must be employed half-time or better, have regular employment status, and be on active duty.
|Office of the President||President|
|Student Affairs||VP/Student Affairs|
|Business & Finance||VP/Business & Finance|
|Institutional Research & Enrollment Management||VP/IREM|
|University Advancement||VP/University Advancement|
C. Terms of Voting Members
A Staff Council delegate shall serve a two (2) year staggered term
beginning July 1
D. Vacancy of Voting Members
Vacancies that occur during a term of service shall be filled for the remainder of that term following the process used in the original election.
E. Removal of Delegates
Any elected delegate can be removed from office for nonperformance of Staff Council duties by a vote of two thirds (2/3) of the voting members of the Staff Council. Nonperformance of Staff Council duties may include, but is not limited to: non-attendance (two (2) or more unexcused absences), unavailability of the delegate to the staff he/she represents, or conduct injurious to the Staff Council, the University, or the purposes of the Staff Council.
F. Ex Officio Members
The Staff Council shall include the Director of Legal Affairs and the Chief of Staff as ex- officio, non-voting, non-office holding members.
IV. OFFICERS OF STAFF COUNCIL
A. Officers and Duties
1. Chairperson: The Chairperson shall preside at Staff Council meetings, serve as Chairperson of the Executive Committee, call special meetings as necessary, perform other duties usual to the office, and confer with and report regularly to the president of the university on matters pertaining to the staff, Staff Council, and the University. The Chairperson is responsible for upholding the Bylaws of the Staff Council and conducting all meetings in accordance with the rules of order. The Chairperson is an ex-officio member of all committees except the Nominating and Elections Committee. The Chairperson shall be elected by and from the Staff Council membership to serve a one (1) year term and may not serve as chairperson for more than two (2) consecutive years.
2. Vice Chair: The Vice Chair shall assist the Chairperson, perform the duties of the Chairperson in his/her absence, serve on the Executive Committee. If the Chairperson is unable to complete the term of office, the Vice Chair shall immediately assume the duties of Chairperson and convene a special session of the Executive Committee to present nominations to the Staff Council for the election of a new Vice Chair. The newly installed Chairperson and Vice Chair shall complete the remainder of the current term. Elections should be held for the Chair & Vice chair position for the next year.
3. Immediate Past-Chairperson: The immediate Past-Chairperson shall be a member of the Executive Committee and will be the Representative to the University System of Georgia Staff Council (USGSC). The representative to the University System of Georgia Staff Council and shall serve as a resource person in an advisory capacity to the Staff Council in matters that affect the Staff Council's relationship with the USGSC. This person is required to attend Executive Committee meetings to ensure congruency and continuity with the USGSC.
4. Secretary: The Secretary shall serve on the Executive Committee, notify members of meetings, provide necessary secretarial services including taking minutes, maintaining records, and distributing minutes to the Staff Council delegates, to the President of the University and to the Official University Minutes Page. The Secretary shall also maintain a current roster of the Executive Committee members and all other committee members, including the expiration dates of each member's term of office.
5. Treasurer: The Treasurer shall be responsible for recording and disbursing funds allocated for the conduct of Staff Council business and for any required financial reports concerning Staff Council expenditures.
6. The Director of Legal Affairs shall serve as a resource person in an
advisory capacity to the Staff Council.
B. Election Procedures for Officers
The Officers of Staff Council shall be elected during the first regularly scheduled meeting in March of each year using the following procedures:
1. Nominations shall be accepted at the January meeting. Nominations may be made to the Chairperson of the Nominations and Elections Committee. Only current delegates shall be eligible for nomination as Chairperson; all other officer positions may be filled by current or new members. The Nominations and Election Committee shall contact the nominees. Each person named on the ballot must accept the nomination and consent to their name being placed on the ballot. Once the nominations have been confirmed, the ballot shall be prepared for the election.
2. Elections shall occur at the February meeting. Should a vacancy occur during a term of office, the above election process shall be followed starting with the next regularly scheduled meeting.
V. University Senate Staff Council Representation
A. University Senate Seats
Senator Seat 1 – Chair of Staff Council
Senator Seat 2 – Staff Council member elected by Staff Council
Senator Seat 3 – Staff Council member elected by Staff Council
Senator Seat 4 – Staff Council member elected by Staff Council
B. University Senate Committee Seats
Committee Seat 1 – Staff Council member elected by Staff Council
Committee Seat 2 – Staff Council members elected by Staff Council
With the exception of the Executive Committee, Standing Committees shall consist of no fewer than three (3) full voting members. The full members of the committees shall choose a chairperson. Standing Committees shall be charged by the chairperson.
B. Standing Committees
Basic Charge to Standing Committees
1. Each committee is empowered to investigate issues in its area of responsibility for report to the Staff Council.
2. The initial meeting of each committee shall be convened within three weeks of appointment.
3. Each committee shall present a written report of its activities to the Executive Committee at the June meeting for inclusion in the History of the Staff Council The report shall include a list of all items placed on the committee agenda and note the disposition of each.
4. Reports providing information and results of investigations shall be submitted to the Executive Committee for inclusion on the agenda. Each committee shall report on its activities at each Staff Council meeting.
5. Elections for committees will be held at the first meeting of the fiscal year. If not serving on a University Senate committee or Executive Committee, all delegates are encouraged to serve on at least one Staff Council committee.
6. Committees will elect their own chair from the body of Staff Council delegates.
a. Executive Committee
The Executive Committee shall consist of the Chairperson, Vice Chair, Secretary, Treasurer and Past Chair. The Chairperson of Staff Council shall serve as Chairperson of the Executive Committee. The elected representative to the University System of Georgia Staff Council (USGSC) shall serve on the Executive Committee in an ex-officio capacity and shall serve in an advisory capacity to the Chairperson.
b. Nominating &
Elections Committee – at least 3 Members
The Nominating & Elections Committee shall consist of at least three members elected by and from the body of the Staff Council. This committee shall be responsible for preparing a slate of officer candidates from the members in good standing of the Staff Council. They shall handle all nominations and election procedures as set forth in the Bylaws. It shall also be the responsibility of the Committee to contact the nominated candidates prior to the June meeting to be sure they are willing to serve and to fully explain the duties and length of term of each office to the potential candidates.
c. Staff Development
& Communications Committee – at least 3 Members
The Staff Development & Communications Committee will consist of at least three members elected by and from the body of the Staff Council. The duties of the Staff Development & Communications Committee include addressing staff development issues such as career and professional development, basic skills development, and technical training geared toward professional growth. It administers the Staff development program and its funds and oversees Staff Council's participation in University Staff recognition programs.
d. By-Laws Committee – at least 3 Members
The By-Laws Committee will consist of at least three members elected by and from the body of the Staff Council. The duties of the By-Laws Committee include reviewing any proposed amendments to the By-Laws as recommended to the Staff Council body. Make recommendations back to the Staff Council body for consideration and possible action.
A. Meeting Schedule
1. The Staff Council shall meet bi-monthly,
commencing in July of the Fiscal Year and at a time
agreed upon by the Council. All Staff Council meetings shall be announced in a
media widely available to the University. Attendance at all Staff Council
delegate meetings and activities by duly elected delegates is considered work
time, provided arrangements have been made with the appropriate supervisor for
attendance. It is expected that elected delegates shall attend, at a minimum, fifty
percent of Staff Council meetings and other activities and shall be given
permission to adequately represent their constituencies in this manner.
B. Agenda for Regular Meetings
1. Items to be reported or discussed should be sent to the Executive Committee at least 3 business days prior to the meeting.
2. A member of the Executive Committee is encouraged to assist the Chairperson with preparation of the agenda for each meeting. The order of business shall be:
a. Call to order
b. Approval of the minutes
c. Committee reports (Standing & Ad Hoc )
d. Reports from the chairperson
e. Old business
f. New business
C. Special Meeting
Any elected staff representative on the Staff Council shall have the right to call meetings of this group of staff members for deliberative and informational purposes regarding issues being considered by the Council.
A 2/3 majority of the membership shall constitute a quorum.
E. Items of New Business
No item of new business shall be voted on until the next regularly scheduled meeting following the meeting at which the item was first discussed by Staff Council. This rule may be waived by a 2/3 majority vote of those in attendance.
F. Roll Call Votes
A roll call vote may be called for by 2/3 majority vote of the membership.
G. Executive Session
When matters of a confidential nature shall be discussed, a member of the Executive Committee may call an Executive Session (subject to the requirements of Georgia law concerning open records and open meetings).
VIII. CHANGES TO THE BY-LAWS
Amendments to the By-Laws may be proposed by any delegate to the Staff Council at a regular meeting. The By-Laws Committee will review any proposed amendments and make recommendations back to the Staff Council body for their consideration and possible action. Amendments to the By-Laws shall be approved by a two-thirds (2/3) vote of the full membership of the Staff Council. If there are not enough members in attendance at the meeting to meet this requirement, the vote shall be held over until the next regularly scheduled meeting.
Revised November 29, 2007.